Million Hearts® 2022 is a national initiative to prevent 1 million heart attacks and strokes within 5 years. It focuses on implementing a small set of evidence-based priorities and targets that can improve cardiovascular health for all.
The main page can be accessed by clicking here.
Hypertension Control Change Package, Second Edition
The Hypertension Control Change Package (HCCP) was originally published in 2015 and has been used in the field to improve hypertension (HTN) control by a variety of health centers and clinics. New clinical guidelines, development of new resources, and general advances in quality improvement for HTN management prompted the need for this updated version.
- Information on the Hypertension Control Change Package (Last Reviewed 5.28.2020)
- The Hypertension Control Change Package PDF (2020)
- National Association of Community Health Centers Partnership Shows Quick Hypertension Control Returns
Cardiac Rehabilitation Change Package
The Cardiac Rehabilitation Change Package (CRCP) presents a listing of process improvements that CR champions can implement as they seek optimal CR utilization. The purpose of the CRCP is to help quality improvement teams from hospitals and CR programs put systems and strategies in place that target improved care for more of the eligible patients. The CRCP is broken down into four main focus areas: Systems Change, Referrals, Enrollment and Participation, and Adherence.
- Information on the Cardiac Rehabilitation Change Package (Last Reviewed 10.24.19)
- Cardiac Rehabilitation Change Package PDF
- Additional Resources and References
Self-Measured Blood Pressure Monitoring Tools
Strong scientific evidence shows that self-measured blood pressure monitoring (SMBP), also known as home blood pressure monitoring, plus clinical support helps people with hypertension lower their blood pressure.
- Self-Measured Blood Pressure Monitoring: Action Steps for Public Health Practitioners
- Self-Measured Blood Pressure Monitoring Action Steps for Clinicians
- American Medical Association and Johns Hopkins Medicine Self-Measured Blood Pressure Monitoring Program
- Office of the National Coordinator for Health Information Technology SMBP Interactive Infographic for Clinicians
Hypertension Treatment Protocols
Use standardized treatment protocols to improve blood pressure control by clarifying titration intervals revealing new treatment options and expanding the types of staff that can assist in timely follow-up with patients.
Create Your Own Protocol
- Protocol Template for Controlling Hypertension in Adults
- Elements Associated with Effective Adoption and Use of a Protocol
- Interactive Protocol for Controlling Hypertension
Featured Evidence-Based Protocols by Million Hearts
The featured protocols are examples of a wide variety of available evidence-based protocols that practices and health care systems may consider for adoption and use. Linking to non-federal sites does not constitute an endorsement by the Department of Health and Human Services, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, or any of their employees of the sponsors or the information or products presented on the sites. Links to non-federal sites containing protocols serve only as a source of guidance. Health care professionals should always consider the individual clinical circumstances of each person. Links to the protocols are not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice; individuals should seek advice from their health care professionals.
- Undiagnosed Hypertension Information
- Video: Finding Undiagnosed Hypertensive Patients
- Hypertension Prevalence Estimator Tool
- Undiagnosed Hypertension Partner Toolkit/Social Media Sample Messages for spreading awareness
Last Revised: 6/5/2020