Resources from the Clinicians of the Capitol Region Right Care Initiative
Hypertension Treatment Algorithm and Tools*
- Hypertension Treatment Algorithm – Adapted from JNC-8, Distributed by the Clinicians of the Capitol Region Right Care Initiative
(Updated 06.06.15 – ready for printing)
Please note that this document MUST be printed as a front-and-back pocket card or as a two page document, as the citations are formatted to be printed as such, and cannot be separated.
- Companion Lifestyle Recommendations
Adapted from American Heart Association/American Stroke Association – Controlling Hypertension in Adults, 2013 lifestyle change recommendations and JNC-7, adapted to include tobacco cessation recommendations.
* New algorithm under development to reflect November 2017 guidelines
Other free resources available online for use by health care organizations and front-line teams.
AMGF Measure Up/Pressure Down January Webinar – Three Years in Review: Lessons Learned & Next Steps
Blood Pressure Measurement Tools
The American Heart Association and The American Stroke Association
Our mission is to build healthier lives, free of cardiovascular diseases and stroke. That single purpose drives all we do. The need for our work is beyond question.
- Do you know your blood pressure (BP) numbers? – How to check your blood pressure and 3 steps for reaching your blood pressure goals.
The American Medical Association
From advocating on behalf of physicians and patients to addressing their day-to-day needs–the AMA is working to shape a healthier future.
Cardiovascular Disease Risk Calculator
Astro-CHARM: 10-Year ASCVD Risk Calculator with Coronary Artery Calcium by the National Space Biomedical Research Institute
“The App is intended for informational and educational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional care by a qualified medical professional”
Diabetes Management Tools
The Diabetes Download
The Diabetes Download provides answers to all sorts of common, and uncommon, diabetes questions. Learn from experts—from doctors to chefs, and more.
Cornerstones4Care Diabetes Download Video Series – Breaking Down Diabetes
Episode 1: What is Diabetes? | Episode 2: Signs and Symptoms of Diabetes | Episode 3: Diabetes by the Numbers
Episode 4: Blood Sugar and the Body | Episode 5: Diabetes Treatment Options | Episode 6: Diabetes Management
Hypertension Management Tools from the Million Hearts Campaign
Million Hearts® brings together existing efforts and new programs to improve health across communities and help Americans live longer, healthier, more productive lives. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services are the co-leaders of Million Hearts® within the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, working alongside other federal agencies including the Administration for Community Living, National Institutes of Health, the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality, and the Food and Drug Administration, the Health Resources and Services Administration, and the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration, the Office of the National Coordinator, and the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs. Key private-sector partners include the American Heart Association, and YMCA, among many others.
- Make Control Your Goal Blood Pressure Toolkit – Designed to help health care professionals address high blood pressure in their practice and provide resources to support their patients.
- Evidence-based Treatment Protocols for Improving Blood Pressure Control – A variety of evidence-based hypertension treatment protocols are available for practices and health care systems to select from, including the following protocols, or a custom protocol can be developed using the template.
- Template to Create a Hypertension Treatment Protocol – Use this template if you’d like to create your own protocol. *Template will continue to be updated as evidence, guidelines evolve.
- Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services, Office of Minority Health Website Link
- Clinicians + HTN Protocol = Better Outcomes Infographic
Stroke Awareness Videos from the Ethnic Health Institute
The Ethnic Health Institute is a community service of Alta Bates Summit Medical Center, engaged in coordinating health education, research, health provider training and community outreach and awareness for the entire community, with a special focus on the underserved and minority populations.
This film describes: What is a Stroke; Knowing the Signs and Risk Factors; How to treat a Stroke; and How to Prevent a Stroke. Film was funded by The California Wellness Foundation and created with the collective efforts of the Alta Bates Summit Ethnic Health Institute, National Institutes of Health and LMA Films.
More information about EHI can be found at www.altabatessummit.org/ehi
Call (510) 869-8223 with questions and comments.
TED Talk – Margaret Heffernan: Dare to Disagree
If you want to speed the uptake of new life-saving medical knowledge, watch this story about x-rays, presented by Margaret Heffernan at TEDGlobal 2012. TED Talk Link