Resources from the Clinicians of the Capitol Region Right Care Initiative
Hypertension Treatment Algorithm and Tools*
Compiled from the 2017 ACC/AHA/AAPA/ABC/ACPM/AGS/APhA/ASH/ASPC/NMA/PCNA Guideline for the Prevention, Detection, Evaluation, and Management of High Blood Pressure in Adults: A Report of the American College of Cardiology/American Heart Association Task Force on Clinical Practice Guidelines
- Hypertension Treatment Algorithm
(Updated 08.16.18 – ready for printing)
Please note that this document MUST be printed as a front-and-back pocket card or as a two page document, as the citations are formatted to be printed as such, and cannot be separated.
- Companion Lifestyle Recommendations
Adapted from American Heart Association/American Stroke Association – Controlling Hypertension in Adults, 2013 lifestyle change recommendations and JNC-7, adapted to include tobacco cessation recommendations.
*For accompanying details on the Hypertension Treatment Pocket Card, see Dr. William J. Bommer’s Hypertension presentation (October 8, 2018) here.
How to Check Blood Pressure (Vietnamese) https://youtu.be/CAEhPBrC9vo
How to Check Blood Pressure (Cantonese) https://youtu.be/z_5GN2SXDp8
How to Check Blood Pressure (Mandarin) https://youtu.be/16aV9wlhsWg
Other free resources available online for use by health care organizations and front-line teams.
NEW: CDC National Hypertension Meeting- September 9, 10, 2019
CDC announced its intent to form a Hypertension Control Consortium representing a diversity of sectors to continue what began at the meeting and support the achievement of a national hypertension control rate of 80%. The goals of the Hypertension Control Consortium are to establish an active consortium unified in its efforts to achieve 80% hypertension control, actively spotlight the need for improved hypertension control in the U.S., and share best practices for hypertension control.
Attached below, please find the September meeting report, the graphic recordings of the meeting, and the presentations given during the meeting.
- Using Value-Based Insurance Design to Improve Patient-Centered Outcomes and Reduce Healthcare Costs Presentation– Speaker: Mark Fendrick, MD, Director of the Center for Value-Based Insurance Design
- Hypertension Control- A Call For Action Presentation– Speaker: Betsy Thompson, MD, MSPH, DRPH, RADM, U.S. Public Health Service, Director, Division for Heart Disease and Stroke Prevention, CDC and Stroke Prevention
- Pilot Demonstration Project in San Diego Presentation– Speaker: José Alberto Arévalo, MD, FAAFP, Founding Co-Chair, Right Care Initiative Sacramento Region University of Best Practices; Chief Medical Officer, Sutter Independent Physicians; President & CEO of Latinx Physicians of CA
- CDC September 2019 Convening Report
- ACHP’s Research Identified 5 Best Practices that Health Plans can Employ to Accelerate the Adoption of Evidence Based Care
- AHA LS7, MAP Proof-of-Concept Study, SD Collective Impact Model
My Action Plan to Prevent Heart Attacks and Strokes Pledge Card
A motivational tool to educate and raise awareness on actionable steps to reduce the risk of heart attack and stroke. The intended audience of the tool includes faith groups, pharmacies, physicians and their patients and the general public.
Download the tool here.
AMGF Measure Up/Pressure Down January Webinar – Three Years in Review: Lessons Learned & Next Steps
Blood Pressure Measurement Tools
The American Heart Association and The American Stroke Association
Our mission is to build healthier lives, free of cardiovascular diseases and stroke. That single purpose drives all we do. The need for our work is beyond question.
- Do you know your blood pressure (BP) numbers? – How to check your blood pressure and 3 steps for reaching your blood pressure goals.
The American Medical Association
From advocating on behalf of physicians and patients to addressing their day-to-day needs–the AMA is working to shape a healthier future.
Cardiovascular Disease Risk Calculator
Astro-CHARM: 10-Year ASCVD Risk Calculator with Coronary Artery Calcium by the National Space Biomedical Research Institute
The App is intended for informational and educational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional care by a qualified medical professional
Diabetes Management Tools
The Diabetes Download
The Diabetes Download provides answers to all sorts of common, and uncommon, diabetes questions. Learn from experts—from doctors to chefs, and more.
Cornerstones4Care Diabetes Download Video Series – Breaking Down Diabetes
Episode 1: What is Diabetes? | Episode 2: Signs and Symptoms of Diabetes | Episode 3: Diabetes by the Numbers
Episode 4: Blood Sugar and the Body | Episode 5: Diabetes Treatment Options | Episode 6: Diabetes Management
Los Angeles County Department of Public Health Diabetes Page
Navigate here for resources to get you started on your diabetes management journey.
Hypertension Management Tools from the Million Hearts Campaign
Million Hearts® brings together existing efforts and new programs to improve health across communities and help Americans live longer, healthier, more productive lives. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services are the co-leaders of Million Hearts® within the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, working alongside other federal agencies including the Administration for Community Living, National Institutes of Health, the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality, and the Food and Drug Administration, the Health Resources and Services Administration, and the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration, the Office of the National Coordinator, and the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs. Key private-sector partners include the American Heart Association, and YMCA, among many others.
- Make Control Your Goal Blood Pressure Toolkit – Designed to help health care professionals address high blood pressure in their practice and provide resources to support their patients.
- Evidence-based Treatment Protocols for Improving Blood Pressure Control – A variety of evidence-based hypertension treatment protocols are available for practices and health care systems to select from, including the following protocols, or a custom protocol can be developed using the template.
- Template to Create a Hypertension Treatment Protocol – Use this template if you’d like to create your own protocol. *Template will continue to be updated as evidence, guidelines evolve.
- Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services, Office of Minority Health Website Link
- Clinicians + HTN Protocol = Better Outcomes Infographic
Stroke Awareness Videos from the Ethnic Health Institute
The Ethnic Health Institute is a community service of Alta Bates Summit Medical Center, engaged in coordinating health education, research, health provider training and community outreach and awareness for the entire community, with a special focus on the underserved and minority populations.
This film describes: What is a Stroke; Knowing the Signs and Risk Factors; How to treat a Stroke; and How to Prevent a Stroke. Film was funded by The California Wellness Foundation and created with the collective efforts of the Alta Bates Summit Ethnic Health Institute, National Institutes of Health and LMA Films.
More information about EHI can be found at www.altabatessummit.org/ehi
Call (510) 869-8223 with questions and comments.
TED Talk – Margaret Heffernan: Dare to Disagree
If you want to speed the uptake of new life-saving medical knowledge, watch this story about x-rays, presented by Margaret Heffernan at TEDGlobal 2012. TED Talk Link
Interplay of Objective Sleep Duration and Cardiovascular and Cerebrovascular Diseases on Cause‐Specific Mortality
To read about the interaction between sleep and cardiovascular disease, please click here.
California Department of Public Health–Prevention Forward Project
Please click the links below to learn more about imperative fields within chronic disease prevention.
- 2017 National Standards for Diabetes Self-Management Education and Support Report
- Definition of Medication Therapy Management
- Self-Measured Blood Pressure Monitoring–Action Steps for Public Health Practitioners. A Report Generated by the CDC and Million Hearts Initiative
- Self Measured Blood Pressure Monitoring Flyer (Generated by CDC)
- 2019 Team-Based Care Best Practices for Patients with Chronic Conditions
- Cardiovascular Health: Treatment of Hyperlipidemia as Primary and Secondary Prevention of Cardiovascular Disease in Adults
Last Revised: 3/18/20